Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Why are kids are selfish

     I watched some videos sent to Jimmy Kimmel today (Jimmy Kimmel Challenge: Best 'I Gave My Child A Terrible Present' Submissions) about children being tricked by their parents with fake Christmas presents, such as a nail clipper, a half eaten Pb&j sandwich, an empty wallet to hold the money the kids will save to buy their own games, and toilet paper.
     In the spirit of comedy I think their reactions are funny, yet quite spoiled at the same time. I am by no means a perfect parent, but I refuse to be the type of parent that just caters to my kids wishes. This year, for example, Cydnie is two and a half, she will be giving away some of her things to children who need. Just because she puts item X on her "list" does not mean I have to give it to her. I want to raise a humble child with appreciation for things.
     Some of the kids in these videos were just plain spoiled. They would get upset and actually throw their "gift" at their parents, yelling "I hate you! You're horrible parents!" In my opinion, you need to teach your children from a very young age that sometimes you just flat out don't get what you want. First, I just don't want a brat for a child. Second, what would happen if you truly couldn't get your kid gifts for Christmas? Is a child going to understand that a roof over their head is more important than a toy? Probably not, but it would be easier if they were taught from a young age.
     I honestly think today and tomorrow's generations are a disappointment for what could've been. Parents not being parents started it. Next came kids having kids.... Children grow up to be what we mold them to be. If we teach them selfish ways, as an adult, they will still be selfish. A nasty, vicious cycle needs to be broken before Christmas is nothing but "what can I get" instead of Jesus' birthday and time family and friends. Merry Christmas Y'all!

1 comment: